USACE’s Institute for Water Resources is working with The Tribal Nations Center of Expertise and Corps Districts to hold collaborative learning exchanges with Tribal nations on water resource needs and opportunities. These workshops focus on learning from Tribal nations about their current water resources priorities and related infrastructure needs, while also sharing information on relevant programs and opportunities to work with the USACE.
Topical discussions may include:
- flood preparedness and emergency management,
- erosion issues,
- adapting to climate challenges,
- the use of watershed studies to assess and prioritize project needs on tribal lands, and
- opportunities for more integrated water resource management.
Discussions will explore how Tribal nations and USACE can partner and best leverage their technical and financial resources to support water resources needs and challenges. Each workshop will be sensitive to the differing needs and interests of the Tribal nations present and promote Tribal priorities.
Workshops are generally being held at existing conferences that have an environmental or water focus in order to maximize participation and ease of travel. At each of the upcoming conferences, USACE will be organizing a workshop session to discuss water resource issues and how USACE can leverage their programs to assist with these challenges. See sample agenda here.
We will continue to add information where these workshops will be held as they are scheduled.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs Midwest Partners in Action Conference; November 4-6, 2019; Prior Lake, MN
- Workshop will be on Wednesday, November 6 at 1:30 - 3:00 PM. Check conference agenda for final time and location.
- Alaska Tribal Conference on Environmental Management; November 19-22, 2019; Anchorage Alaska
- Workshop will be on Friday, November 22 at 8am – 12pm in the Birch/Willow conference room.
PLANNING TO JOIN?
If you are planning to attend one of the upcoming workshops, please fill in the form below to help us better prepare and so we can reach out to you in advance with any additional information. You can find the form here. If you are having difficulty filling out the form in your browser, please download and save the form on your computer and then click on "Submit Form" (green button) to send in the completed form.