The RMC has leadership or oversight to interpret dam safety policies, supporting Headquarters activities, managing dams in the USACE inventory, managing dam-related data, advising districts regarding routine dam safety activities, developing tools and methods to evaluate risks, leading dam safety training activities, participating in Periodic Assessments, leading Issue Evaluation Studies, participating in Dam Safety Modification Studies, and managing independent peer review for dam-related studies.
The RMC leads efforts initiated by USACE Headquarters (HQUSACE) to review, evaluate, and modify policies related to dams and dam safety. The center supports HQUSACE policy reviews as requested by Civil Works.
Special requests occasionally are made by HQUSACE to review dam-related reports, requests for information, and other types of miscellaneous work to support HQUSACE. The center supports these activities either internally or using MSC and District resources.
- The RMC reviews Interim Risk Reduction Measure Plans (IRRMPs) for HQ and provides comments and recommendations.
- The RMC reviews Project Management Plans (PMP) and makes recommendations to HQ.
- The RMC reviews Issue Evaluation Studies submitted for approval and makes recommendations to HQ.
- The RMC reviews Dam Safety Modification Studies submitted for approval and makes recommendations to HQ.
The RMC leads Corps activities to manage the portfolio of structures with the goal of reducing risks in the most efficient manner possible in accordance with Chapter 6 of ER-1110-2-1156. To do this, the RMC leads efforts to evaluate structures where risks are potentially unacceptable and manage the portfolio from a national perspective. The RMC, in consultation with the Senior Oversight Group and HQUSACE, manages resource queues for Periodic Assessments, Issue Evaluations, and Dam Safety Modification Studies, and approved projects awaiting design and construction funds. This RMC also develops and maintains a 5-, 10-, and 30-year plan to reduce risks across the USACE portfolio of dams.
The RMC leads activities to centrally manage dam safety-related electronic data for dams in USACE. RMC stores and organizes data related to Dam Safety Project Management Tool, RADS (Risk Assessment for Dam Safety) II, DAM Risk Analysis Engine (DAMRAE), and National Inventory of Dams. The RMC is responsible to ensure adequate communication between the various dam-safety related data sets in USACE. The National Inventory of Dams is functionally part of the RMC, and is funded by HQ through the RMC. The RMC also leads efforts to unify real-time seismic monitoring systems for Corps facilities in seismically active areas.
Routine Dam Safety Activities
The RMC manages and evaluates data related to ER-1110-2-1156, Appendix J: Dam Safety Project Management Tools. The RMC supports HQUSACE efforts to improve Dam Safety Scorecard results for individual districts.
Tools and Methods
The RMC leads the development of risk-related tools and risk methodology for USACE. The center develops these tools and methods internally and with district, MSC, and external support.
The RMC also leads efforts to coordinate technical competency and technology development for scientific and engineering analyses of dams and levees.
The RMC leads and coordinates risk-related training for USACE staff. The RMC works with USACE CoP leads to develop new training courses and encourages participation by members of the respective CoPs. Training sessions are primarily led by RMC staff, but are supplemented by District, MSC, and external subject matter experts.
Interim Risk Reduction Measures
The RMC reviews and makes recommendations to HQ concerning concurrence with Interim Risk Reduction Measure Plans.
The RMC manages resources to support risk assessments completed as part of Periodic Assessments. The RMC also performs QA/QC on PA risk-related products and manages Agency Technical Review and other reviews to ensure consistency.
Issue Evaluation Studies
- Leads teams that evaluate risks as part of Issue Evaluation Studies.
- Provides facilitators and subject matter experts to support Issue Evaluation activities.
- Manages resources, primarily composed of regional or district cadres, to support Issue Evaluation activities.
- Performs QA/QC on Issue Evaluation Study risk-related products and manages Agency Technical Review (ATR) and other reviews to ensure consistency.
Dam Safety Modification Studies
- Leads teams that evaluate risks as part of Dam Safety Modification Studies (DSMS).
- Provides facilitators and subject matter experts to support Dam Safety Modification activities.
- Manages resources, primarily composed of regional or district cadres, to support Dam Safety Modification activities.
- Manages quality assurance and control activities related to DSMS studies including Agency Technical Review and Independent External Peer Review Type I/II.
- The RMC periodically evaluates accomplishment and construction activities for dam safety modifications.
Dam Safety Modifications
For dams that are being modified, the RMC ensures:
- Risks are being reduced in a manner consistent with the DSMS and final design documents.
- Adequate quality assurance and control practices are being used and construction work is adequately documented.
- Adequate communication exists between the RMC, district designers, and district construction forces.
Independent Peer Review
The RMC performs quality assurance and control on dam and levee products and manages Agency Technical Review, Independent External Peer Review Type I/II, and other reviews to ensure consistency and adherence to policy.