UT-Battelle, LLC, Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC), and IWR participated in the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and UT-Battelle, which manages and operates Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The agreement formalizes ongoing research and looks ahead to future collaborations that will pool resources of the Department of Energy lab, IWR, and ERDC. ORNL is managed by UT-Battelle for the Department of Energy.
About the Memorandum of Understanding
Signed: September 12, 2005
- Jeff Wadsworth, Director (ORNL)
- James Houston, Director (ERDC)
- Robert A. Pietrowsky, Director (IWR)
Purpose: This partnership aims to establish a cooperative relationship to address the nation's water resource goals, energy security and environmental sustainability.
Terms: It is the mutual goals and objectives of the Parties to:
- Express joint commitment to the simultaneous and interconnected objectives of water resources, energy security, and environmental sustainability.
- Encourage cooperation and synergy between the organizations
- Identify and pursue research and development strengths within each organization that can be matched to address the water, energy, and environment nexus more effectively
- Produce a white paper to assess how the partners can best complement each other's efforts in water resource management, energy security, and environmental sustainability
UT-Battelle,a not-for-profit company, has been established for the sole purpose of managing and operating the Oak Ridge National Laboratory for the U.S. Department of Energy.
About Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL)
Oak Ridge National Laboratory conducts research and development to create scientific knowledge and technological solutions that strengthen United States leadership in science; increase the availability of clean, abundant energy; restore and protect the environment and contribute to national security.
About Engineering Research and Development Center (ERDC)
The Mission of the Engineer Research and Development Center is to provide science, technology, and expertise in engineering and environmental sciences in support of our Armed Forces and the Nation to make the world safer and better.