The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI) and IWR will further both organizations’ goals of enhancing the use of effective water resources development and management policies. Each partner is committed to supporting integrated water resources management and sustainable development.
About the Memorandum of Understanding
Signed: August 4, 2007
- Jeanette A. Brown, President (EWRI)
- Robert A. Pietrowsky, Director (IWR)
Purpose: This partnership aims to establish long-term cooperation in the fields of integrated water resources development and management, engineering and scientific excellence, and capacity building for developing countries and countries in transition.
Terms: The parties are especially interested in pursuing cooperative opportunities in the following areas of common interest:
- Integrated water resources management (IWRM)
- Environmentally sustainable development
- Infrastructure development and related engineering design standards, procedures and best practices
- Peer review and peer support of technical products and services
- Hydrologic, hydraulic and water resources systems analysis modeling
- Natural disaster preparedness, prevention, mitigation, recovery and reconstruction
- Water security, risk analysis and protection of critical water resources infrastructure
- Environmental protection, sanitation, water quality, hazards remediation, health and safety
- Ecosystem analysis and design, environmental restoration, eco-hydrology
- Consensus building and conflict resolution
- Water policy, governance and institutional analysis
- Capacity building and training, and technology transfer
- Professional and academic standards, educational methods and systems
About Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI)
EWRI promotes the sustainable use, conservation and protection of natural resources and the advancement of knowledge and understanding of science and engineering. This organization partners with national and international organizations and provides policy input to government decision makers.