The American Society of Civil Engineers, Coasts, Oceans, Ports and Rivers Institute of ASCE Ports and Harbors Committee (COPRI) and the United States national section of the World Association for Waterborne Transport Infrastructure (PIANC) have agreed to establish a partnership to advance mutual interests in global navigation and the global coastal, ocean, port, waterway, and riverine environment. IWR acts as an agent for U.S. Section, PIANC in implementing portions of this MOU.
About the Partnering Agreement
Signed: April 16, 2002
- Brian K. Parsons, Executive Director (COPRI)
- James E. Dailey, President (COPRI)
- Major General Robert H. Griffin, President and Commissioner (U.S. Section, PIANC)
- Thomas M. Ballentine (U.S. Section, PIANC)
Purpose: This agreement formalizes the Parties past cooperation and creates an agreement to further the ongoing mutual cooperation of the two organizations. Historically, cooperation between the Parties has been accomplished through activities that include the Ports conference (held every three years), conferences on Dredging, and professional technical documents that further the advancement of the profession.
Terms: The Parties are committed to work together toward the following goals:
- Encourage continuing dialogue and cooperation between COPRI and PIANC at national, state and local levels to advance science, education, technology, and operations;
- Work to expand the network of continuing education opportunities for our members;
- Identify common interests and issues relating to our involvement in the fields of marine science, technology, engineering, construction, and human affairs related to the global waterborne trade environment;
- Develop programs and forums of mutual interest to the Parties' members;
- Encourage membership by all professional disciplines interested in the advancement of our purposes and shared vision;
- Collaborate to improve public education and to promote sound public policy on waterborne trade-related issues.
About Coasts, Oceans, Ports and Rivers Institute of ASCE
Created in 2000, the Coasts, Oceans, Ports, and Rivers Institute (COPRI) is a semi-autonomous institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). COPRI's services are designed to complement ASCE's traditional civil engineering base. COPRI replaced ASCE's Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Division to serve as the multi-disciplinary and international leader in improving the knowledge, teaching, development, and practice of civil engineering and other disciplines working in waterway environments. COPRI's mission is to advance and disseminate scientific and engineering knowledge to its diverse members engaged in sustainable development and protection of coasts, oceans, ports , waterways, and wetlands; and also to foster communication and cooperation among our domestic and international members in government, industry, and education. ASCE has been sponsoring specialty conferences on ports, harbors and other marine engineering topics since 1977. The Ports conferences are developed and offered through the Ports and Harbors Committee.