USACE Pittsburgh District used Crowdsource Reporter to collect ideas, questions, and concerns from the public before starting the process of updating the Kinzua Dam and Allegheny Reservoir Master Plan. The tool enabled members of the public to comment to submit location-based comments on the map interface relating to the environmental, recreational, cultural, historical, safety, and emergency resource management of the reservoir. Stakeholder comments related to:
- Regional needs the Master Plan should take into consideration
- Potential threats that need to be addressed in the Master Plan
- Opportunities for the Kinzua Dam & Allegheny Reservoir area
- Information relevant to the update of the Master Plan
- Areas or resources needing to be protected for their environmental, cultural, or archeological significance
- Best Management Practices that should be considered for managing the project and its resources
Stakeholder comments helped shape the update of the reservoir’s master plan, ensuring the management of the reservoir and surrounding land are in line with local needs and interests.