Ocean City and Assateague Island
Dynamic Sustainability: Shoreline Management on Maryland's Atlantic Coast
1876-1933, Beginning of Divergence
A railroad bridge was built over Sinepuxent Bay in 1876 and it ended directly at the Atlantic Hotel's door. The town was also named Ocean City in 1876.
By the last decade of the 19th century, a number of hotels were run by entrepreneurial women known as the "Petticoat Regime." As the women ran the hotels, the men worked at "pound fishing." This entailed catching an entire school of fish at one time in a huge net, dragging that net onto a boat, and hauling it back to shore. This was very lucrative for a time but it wasn't a sustainable form of fishing, and by the 1930s the area was overfished.
In 1916 the first automobile bridge opened, which increased the number of tourists. Throughout this time, however, the barrier environment was as dynamic as it had always been. In 1920 a storm opened an inlet a few miles south of Ocean City, and it was closed in 1928 by the natural process of sediment transport clogging the inlet. But the storm that opened the inlet caused significant damage to Ocean City and led to the town's first engineering attempts to maintain the beach. Groins were built along the beach to prevent sand from moving downdrift.
A hurricane struck Ocean City in late August of 1933. After days of intense rainfall the winds shifted offshore and that force, along with the outgoing tide, caused the bay water to smash through the island and open Ocean City Inlet.
Town officials had previously petitioned the government to open an inlet artificially at this narrow point on Fenwick Island. By the 1920s the town residents wanted the ability to use larger fishing vessels, which needed a true harbor rather than launching directly into the ocean surf. As a result the representatives of the Worcester County area proposed to Congress that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers open an inlet to create that harbor. The storm resolved the issue by opening the inlet naturally.